DJI Announce the Osmo Mobile 2 and Ronin-S
At this year’s CES in Las Vegas, DJI have announced two new gimbal products, the Osmo Mobile 2, the latest iteration of mobile gimbals for smartphones and the Ronin-S, a handheld gimbal for DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.
These two handheld gimbals are a huge development for DJI, the world leaders in drone technology, who have been taking steps into the gimbal market for the past couple of years.
Keep reading to find out more about the DJI Ronin-S and Osmo Mobile 2.
The DJI Ronin-S is the latest stabilisation technology from DJI, designed for DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. The Ronin-S provides precision control, advance stabilisation and manual focus control. Shoot shake-free and smooth video with an incredible cinematic and professional feel.
The gimbal has been designed to ensure the display of the camera isn’t blocked to maintain complete control over the camera when using upright and underslung. This is a development on competitor products that limit access to the screen when in use.
The Ronin-S is the first of its kind from DJI. Previously focusing stabilisation for smartphones, dedicated cameras and large cinema-level cameras. DJI are clearly making positive moves to dominate the handheld gimbal market with this announcement.
Take a look at some of the key features of the Ronin-S:
- Advanced 3-axis stabilisation
- Batteries can be hot-swapped for continued filming whilst changing batteries
- DJI Intelligent Modes including Panoramas, ActiveTrack, Sport Mode as well as many more
- DJI SmoothTrack gives your shots a smooth, cinematic feeling with custom set parameters
- DJI Focus Command Unit adds versatility to the Ronin-S
- Customise response level of the Ronin-S
- Control using dedicated buttons and the high-precision joystick on the handle
The Ronin-S is said to be compatible with the majority of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. The following have been confirmed for use; the Canon 5D range, Sony Alpha series and Panasonic GH-series.
The Ronin-S can be detached from its handle and mounted on an RC buggy for low angle shots or can be mounted on a jib or crane. This increase the user’s creative options giving more freedom to the Ronin-S. The DJI Focus Command Unit also allows the Ronin-S to be mounted on an accessory dock.
Accessories such as the Focus Control Centre, DJI Master Force DJI Master Wheel and other third-party accessories can be used for increased control over the Ronin-S.
Further to the above, add-ons can be mounted on the Ronin-S. This includes LED lights, microphones and wireless video transmitters.
Pre-orders are available through Heliguy here for a £99.00 deposit.
The Ronin-S isn’t expected to ship until at least the second quarter of 2018.
Full pricing should be confirmed shortly.
Heliguy will keep you up to date on the availability and shipping via our products page, social media and email following your pre-order.
Osmo Mobile 2
The Osmo Mobile 2 is the latest in DJI’s range of handheld gimbal for smartphones, giving stabilised images and video in a lightweight and portable package.
The Osmo Mobile 2 has a significantly improved battery time and simplified controls to that of the original Osmo Mobile. It helps users capture smooth and cinematic shots with their smartphone with the help of Intelligent Modes such as ActiveTrack and panorama.
The three-axis gimbal cancels out three directions of movement including handshaking and tremble to give the highest quality results.
With the recent announcement of the Freefly Movi, DJI releasing a new mobile gimbal may be an attempt to hold control over the mobile gimbal market for smartphones.
Keep reading for more on the DJI Osmo Mobile 2.
Take a look at the standout areas of the Osmo Mobile 2:
- DJI’s Intelligent Modes are available including ActiveTrack, Motionlapse, Hyperlapse Slow-mo, Zoom Control and Timelapse. These result in greater creative options for Osmo Mobile 2 users for both videographers and photographers
- Shoot for up to 15 hours with the Osmo Mobile 2
- The Osmo Mobile 2 will also charge your smartphone battery for even longer recording time
- Features a ¼” universal screw for mounting on all standard accessories such as tripods. This helps the Osmo Mobile 2 be the most adaptable gimbal for smartphones yet
- Upload and live stream straight to social media through the DJI GO app
- Pivot between landscape and portrait modes for different perspectives
- The new nylon structure makes the Osmo Mobile 2 extremely lightweight
- Control camera settings with the Osmo’s handle such as ISO, shutter speed and white balance
The Osmo Mobile 2 is compatible with smartphones from 58.6-84.8 mm wide and up to 8.4 mm thick. This covers the majority of smartphones from Apple and Android. The Osmo Mobile 2 communicates with smartphones via Bluetooth.
Use the ¼” mount on any available accessory.
The Osmo Mobile 2 is available for pre-order through Heliguy here for just £129.00.
Heliguy will keep you up to date with expected release dates via our product page, social media and email following your pre-order.
Speak to one of the team for more information on 0191 296 1024.
The DJI Ronin-S and Osmo Mobile 2 are two impressive products for DJI. DJI have solidified themselves at the top of the commercial drone industry and are clearly on their way to doing the same with handheld gimbals.
It will be interesting to see how the Osmo Mobile 2 holds up against the Freefly Movi, but with the significant price reduction, it seems the Osmo Mobile 2 may be able to maintain their position of dominance in smartphone gimbal technology.
The Heliguy team are looking forward to trying out these two new products and will keep you up to date on what they think.
Keep checking back to Heliguy’s Insider Blog for more announcements, insights into drones and, of course, the latest news from the drone industry.
David is Heliguy’s Blogger and Head of Digital Content Production. David keeps our readers up to date with drone news within the ever-changing industry.