DJI Osmo Action camera launched
DJI has today unveiled the Osmo Action – a rugged and waterproof 4K camera which features front and rear colour screens, state-of-the-art electronic image stabilisation and rivals the GoPro HERO7 Black.
This new release is ideal for thrill-seekers, sports enthusiasts, professionals and vloggers, allowing you to capture every adventure in stunning detail.
Key features of the DJI Osmo Action include:
- First DJI handheld camera to include RockSteady, DJI’s Electronic Image Stabilisation (EIS) technology;
- 1/2.3-inch sensor records 12-megapixel photos and 4K video up to 60fps at 100Mbps in stunning detail;
- Capable of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K/30fps;
- Colour screens on both the front and back of the camera;
- The 2.25-inch rear touchscreen has a water and fingerprint repelling coating;
- The 1.4-inch front screen makes vlogging and selfies easy;
- SnapShot feature allows Osmo Action to turn on and begin recording in under two seconds by pressing the shutter button once;
- Capable of operating at a depth of 11 meters without additional waterproof housing. The waterproof case accessory allows it to be taken to a depth of 60 metres;
- Dual speakers;
- Removable battery with a run time of 93 minutes recording at 4K/30fps with RockSteady enabled, and 135 minutes recording at 1080p/30fps without RockSteady;
- Features include slo-mo, timelapse and custom exposure settings.
“For all types of creators who push their gear to the limits, Osmo Action sets the new standard,” says DJI
The Osmo Action is priced £329 and is now available to pre-order from Heliguy.
DJI Osmo Action – Advanced Technology With Exceptional Image Quality
A 1/2.3-inch sensor records 12-megapixel photos and 4K video up to 60fps at 100Mbps in stunning detail, assuring high-quality footage.
The dimensions of the DJI Osmo Action are 65×42×35mm and it weighs 134g
A three-glass aspherical lens design records low-distortion content and aids in reducing warping effects for improved scenes.
The lens cap is finished with two layers of anti-fingerprint coating to keep the shot clean during use, as well as an anti-reflective coating to reduce the unwanted effects of lens glare, giving users more flexibility to shoot in bright conditions.
Incorporating over a decade of experience creating three-axis mechanical gimbals, Osmo Action is the first DJI handheld camera to include RockSteady, DJI’s Electronic Image Stabilisation (EIS) technology.
High-performance stabilisation algorithms work in conjunction with EIS to record every movement in smooth, stable, high-quality video, even when recording 4K/60fps.
DJI Osmo Action has a 1/2.3-inch sensor records 12-megapixel photos and 4K video up to 60fps at 100Mbps
Additionally, Osmo Action is capable of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K/30fps, delivering an additional three stops of dynamic range to the scene, natural transitions between light and dark areas, and rich details that are often lost in complex lighting conditions.
Osmo Action has a removable battery with a run time of 93 minutes recording at 4K/30fps with RockSteady enabled, and 135 minutes recording at 1080p/30fps without RockSteady.
Dual microphones let users take advantage of Osmo Action’s Voice Control, and a speaker ensures outstanding playback quality.
DJI Osmo Action – Handle Extreme Conditions With Ease
A compact yet durable design makes Osmo Action the ideal camera for life’s adventures.
DJI Osmo Action is waterproof up to 11 metres without additional waterproof housing. A diving house accessory will protects the camera at depths down to 60 metres
Constructed to handle extreme conditions with ease, Osmo Action is dustproof, shockproof (tested to withstand drops from up to 5 feet/1.5 metres), waterproof (capable of operating at a depth of 36 feet/11 metres without additional waterproof housing) and has the ability to operate in sub-freezing temperatures (tested to withstand temperatures of -10° Celsius).
Osmo Action utilises colour screens on both the front and back, a unique design feature that allows for more convenient scene composition while on the move.
The 2.25-inch rear touchscreen employs a water and fingerprint repelling coating, and the 1.4-inch front screen makes vlogging and selfies easier than ever before. With a brightness of 750-nits, Osmo Action can be used in harsh lighting conditions including direct sunlight.
Osmo Action’s interactive user interface, Action OS, combines a streamlined and functional physical design with flexible operation. Power on, initiate recording, and rotate through the video and photo capture modes in the blink of an eye with three dedicated buttons.
DJI Osmo Action is capable of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K/30fps
Never miss a moment with the help of SnapShot, which allows Osmo Action to turn on and begin recording in under two seconds by pressing the shutter button once.
DJI Osmo Action – Creative, Intelligent Features
A staple in DJI’s product lineup, Osmo Action offers a wide variety of highly creative features built into the camera which users can access with a few simple taps. While recording, choose between:
- Slo-mo: 8x slow motion in 1080p 240fps or 4x slow motion in 1080p 120fps creates a visually appealing effect when documenting action-packed scenes.
- Timelapse: If the user is looking to turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster.
- Custom Exposure Settings: Shoot for the stars with manual and semi-automatic settings that allow up to 120 seconds of exposure, perfect for capturing the night sky.
DJI Osmo Action – Unlocking Its Full Potential
Using the recently released DJI Mimo app, connect Osmo Action to your mobile device with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for added functionality, including a live feed of the camera, multiple story templates, in-app quick editing, and more.
A range of accessories are available for the DJI Osmo Action. These are:
- Osmo Action battery: The battery features two locks for easy installation. The maximum capacity of the battery is 1300mAh, significantly extending recording time.
- Osmo Action charging kit: Intelligent charging system for increased charging efficiency.
- Osmo Action adhesive mount kit: Attach Osmo Action to flat or curved surfaces for expanded shooting options.
- Osmo Action lens filter cap: Abrasion and dust-resistant with an anti-fingerprint coating that protects against liquids.
- Osmo Action USB-C cover: Covers the USB-C port and microSD card slot, repelling water and dust.
- Osmo Action camera frame kit: Features seamless protection, convenient buttons, a window for the LED indicator, convenient drainage, and a quick-release design.
DJI Osmo Action v GoPro HERO7 Black v GoPro HERO7 Silver
The DJI Osmo Action appears to be a direct rival to GoPro’s flagship action camera, the HERO7 Black, and to a lesser extent, the HERO7 Silver.
DJI Osmo Action does beat the GoPro HERO7 Black in certain aspects, including a longer battery life and the ability to take it slightly deeper
Based on the specifications between the three products, DJI’s camera does out-do its competitors in certain aspects. For instance, it can go slightly deeper without waterproof casing than its rivals, has a longer battery life and can capture HDR video.
Below is a specification sheet, comparing the three products.
|OSMO Action||GoPro HERO7 Black||GoPro HERO7 Silver|
|Touch screen||2.25 inches, 640*360||2 inch, 480*320||2 inch, 480*320|
|Front screen||1.4 inches, colour screen||0.92 inches, black-white||No|
|Sensor||1/2.3″ CMOS||1/2.3″ CMOS||1/2.3″ CMOS|
|RAW photo capture||Yes||Yes||No|
|Video resolution||4K60 1080P240||4K60 1080P240||4K30 1080P240|
|HDR video||Yes (4K30)||No||No|
|Diving House||Yes (60m)||Yes (60m)||No|
|Wake on voice||No||Yes||Yes|
|Working hours||110mins @ 1080p 30P |
64min @ 4K 60P
|92mins @ 4K 30P|
61mins @ 4K 60P
‘The Osmo Action sets a new standard,’ says DJI
DJI is delighted to unveil the Osmo Action.
Roger Luo, DJI President, said: “DJI has always pushed the limits of technology, and the content creators who love our products made clear they wanted us to push the limits of their creative potential too.
“Osmo Action is our cutting-edge answer to what the creative community demands. Exceptional image quality and stabilisation in a unique and durable new form factor, with dual colour screens and seamless software integration.
“For all types of creators who push their gear to the limits, Osmo Action sets the new standard.
“Whether you are capturing aerial content with Mavic 2, incredibly smooth content with Osmo Pocket, or heart-racing footage with Osmo Action, DJI offers a full suite of products for your creative needs.”
DJI Osmo Action – In the Box
When you purchase your Osmo Action, this is what will be in the box:
- Osmo Action x 1
- Camera Frame x 1
- Flat Adhesive Mount x 1
- Curved Adhesive Mount x 1
- Quick-Release Base x 1
- Battery x 1
- Battery Case x 1
- Locking Screw x 1
- USB-C Cable x 1
James is Heliguy’s Blogger and Drone Content Executive. James keeps our readers up to date with drone news within the ever-changing industry.