Drone Mapping With DJI Terra
UPDATE (April 23, 2020): DJI has unveiled a new Electricity License with optimisations made for 3D powerline reconstructions.
DJI Terra is a software tool that transforms drone data into digital 3D models and maps for easy analysis and decision-making.
DJI Terra allows you to capture, analyse and visualise your environment
DJI Terra enables businesses and organisations using DJI drone technology to capture, visualise and analyse aerial images for a wide variety of applications across the public safety, construction, infrastructure, agriculture and film industries.
DJI has also recently announced that an Electricity License is now available, to provide new optimisations for powerline modelling, helping enterprise users create detailed 3D reconstructions of thin powerlines.
The Terra tool will allow organisations to carry out real-time mapping and generate high-quality 2D and 3D reconstructions and measurements, among other things.
DJI Terra is an easy-to-use mapping software tool developed to help industry professionals transform real-world scenarios into digital assets
DJI Terra is compatible with the following DJI drones:
- Phantom 4 RTK (pictured below)
- Phantom 4 Pro V2.0
- Phantom 4 Pro + V2.0
- Phantom 4 Pro
- Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 4
Features In More Detail
Automatic Flight Planning and Data Capture
DJI Terra helps commercial drone pilots quickly plan automated flights with several easy-to-use options based on the area or objects they’d like to capture and the type of map or 3D model they’d like to create.
Powerful and easy to use, DJI Terra has three mission planning options to help you design flight paths and recreate your own 2D and 3D models
It features three mission planning types:
- Waypoint: Create dynamic custom flight paths through an area or around objects using waypoints and adjustable parameters like aircraft altitude, speed, heading, gimbal pitch and angle. For more complex missions that require high attention to detail, the 3D Flight Visualisation feature enables the design and simulation of missions on existing 3D models.
- Area: Capture a specific area quickly and easily by drawing a custom polygonal flight zone on a map. DJI Terra automatically generates efficient flight path options based on the area selected.
- Oblique: Capture a rich data set by automatically flying the same route multiple times. Each flight automatically adjusts the angle of the camera to capture new details, giving an extra crisp 3D model of the object or asset from multiple angles.
Digitise the world with Terra – DJI’s new mapping software designed to help professionals plan flight missions, capture data and act on insights
Real-time Mapping and Detailed 3D Models
With real-time mapping capabilities, DJI Terra allows drone pilots to quickly generate 2D orthomosaic maps as the drone flies, ideal for time-sensitive missions where situational awareness is critical and decisions need to be made in minutes.
DJI Terra’s fast processing capability also creates sharp and realistic representations of any environment through detailed 2D orthomosaics and 3D model reconstructions used for industrial applications like reconstructing vehicle crashes, tracking progress on construction projects or conducting large-scale critical infrastructure inspections on bridges and roadways.
Easy Data Analysis
In addition to map and model creation, DJI Terra helps users analyse data and generate instant insights with easy-to-use analysis tools that provide a variety of measurements, including linear distance, surface area and volumetric estimations (pictured below).
To improve team communication and reporting throughout ongoing projects, annotation labels can be edited and shared.
For detailed site inspections and accident reconstruction situations, DJI Terra’s photo inspection tool lets users closely examine every photo used to create the model so they can pinpoint and highlight critical elements.
How Can DJI Terra Help Me?
Here’s a look at which industries can benefit from DJI Terra and how it will help them.
- Public Safety: Achieve rapid turnaround time for gathering on-site critical information.
- Infrastructure: Easily perform detailed inspections on complex assets and structures.
- Agriculture: Get an in-depth understanding of your field to help you generate greater yields.
- Construction: Collect, measure and analyse data with accuracy across projects.
- Filming: Optimise pre-visualisation to improve planning workflows across your team.
- Energy: Safely inspect vertical assets and structures, with special optimisations for power lines.
DJI Terra allows you to harness the power of AI-driven mapping solutions to help you take your industrial projects to the next level. Whether it’s object classification, site inspections and more, you can start developing task-specific mapping solutions to seamlessly carry out missions.
Here is a quick guide to making the most of this next-gen mapping tool.
- Data Acquisition: Define mission objective, plan desired flight plan, and with a tap of a few buttons, autonomously collect critical data so you can achieve the required outcome.
- Data Processing: Utilise refined image recognition technology to generate 2D and 3D data, resulting in a more realistic representation of your assets, objects, surroundings and more.
- Data Application: Implement tools and machine learning techniques, which can be used across a variety of different industries – like classification algorithms for identifying trees, objects, and other scenarios.
- Execution: Take the required action, and enjoy more efficient processes with machine control – be it automated crop spraying, monitoring work sites, transporting materials and more.
Terra License Plans
Three license plans are available for DJI Terra – Advanced, Pro, and Electricity. This is what they offer:
|Real-time 2D mapping||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|KML file import||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2D Reconstruction (Field)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2D Reconstruction (Urban)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2D Multispectral Reconstruction||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Output Coordinate System||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|3D Mission planning||Yes||Yes|
DJI is proud to unveil DJI Terra.
As the leader in the commercial drone industry, DJI continues to develop accessible and easy-to-use hardware and software solutions that help organisations transform their operations with drone technology and gain a competitive advantage in their industries. As an all-in-one mapping and modelling solution, DJI Terra makes it simple and efficient to extract value from drone data, generating conclusions and recommendations across multiple use cases from crash reconstructions to critical infrastructure inspections as well as agriculture field mapping and construction site modelling.
SUNNY LIAO, DIRECTOR OF ENTERPRISE AT DJI
DJI Terra is available for purchase through authorised DJI Enterprise re-sellers worldwide, including Heliguy, and is compatible with Windows PCs and all current DJI Phantom 4 Series drones. For details, visit the Heliguy website.