We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Radio Frequency (RF) Design Engineer to join our product development team to work on cutting-edge RF hardware and software solutions for our portable & lightweight products.
In this role, you will play a crucial part in simulating, designing, implementing, and optimising SWaP constrained wireless communication systems. This includes simulating the system for performance, creating schematics from the highest quality components and PCB layouts to ensure our wireless communication systems are resilient and powerful.
You’ll work end-to-end with the wider team to design RF systems to a given set of requirements, selecting frequency ranges, deciding on protocols, selecting filters, amplifiers, switches, transceivers and antennas, designing schematics and PCB layouts for these components, then seeing it through with software development teams to produce the best wireless systems possible.
To be successful in this role we’ll expect you to have detailed knowledge on modulation, link budgets, receiver sensitivity, propagation paths, attenuation and losses and we will expect to see complete RF designs in the experience on your C.V.
- Design RF schematics, PCB layouts and BOMs alongside our other electronics engineers.
- Create accurate simulations of the RF systems you’re designing to allow the shortest possible feedback loop between iterations.
- These should take into account gain, noise, inter symbol interference and have the ability to test different atmospheric interference conditions.
- You will be a key element in taking the RF hardware you’ve produced and integrating it into our UNIX-based software stack.
- In-line with hardware design, utilise your SDR knowledge to create innovative protocols that achieve the aims of specific commercial applications.
- Multi-Topology Systems - Work on RF designs that support point-to-point, mesh and repeater topologies.
Test and Iterate
- Move quickly to test, validate and improve your designs.
Compliance and Regulatory Standards
- Ensure that any system you produce for Colena satisfies regulatory and compliance requirements, working alongside our consultant partners, performing in-house EMC testing and validation pre-laboratory tests.
- Use your expertise to ensure the operation of our RF systems on Linux are fast, resilient and easy to troubleshoot.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, RF Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience designing complete, complex wireless RF systems, including circuit simulation, component selection, schematic design, PCB layout and production.
- In-depth understanding of all relevant RF componentry in hardware designs, including filters, mixers, switches, LNAs, PAs and transceivers.
- Strong knowledge of RF concepts, including impedance matching, modulation, and RF propagation.
- Expertise in networking protocols and technologies, such as TCP/IP, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and IoT standards.
- Experience using Fusion 360 Electronics and the wider Autodesk suite, or similar software suites.
- Expertise utilising Mesh topology in wireless networks and the relevant protocols.
Proficiency in RF simulation and modelling tools, such as ADS, CST, or HFSS.
- Familiarity with embedded hardware design principles and tools.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication and teamwork abilities.
Submit your CV/portfolio and a brief cover letter outlining your relevant experience and describe a RF system you have designed, detail how you were involved in each part of the process.