Freefly Movi - A Cinema Robot for your Mobile Phone
The Freefly Movi is a new gimbal to help stabilise video footage your shoot on your mobile.
It brings Freefly's professional experience and technology into a lightweight, portable package.
It's small and portable, meaning you can take it wherever you go - from bike rides, to sailing, to all day walks in the countryside.
All of Freefly's expertise has gone into the Movi - meaning you'll get incredible stabilisation results when shooting with any mobile phone.
** At launch - only iPhones are supported - we'll update you as soon as Android support is added! **
What are the features of the Freefly Movi?
- Can be used 1 or 2 handed to give complete control.
- Rubberised, flat bottom surface to ensure that the Freefly Movi can be put down without any damage.
- Extra-wide clamp that allows even the largest mobile phones to be used with the Movi.
- Fast charging via USB C.
- Dual Lithion Ion battery setup (18650mAh).
- Connect to phones wirelessly using Bluetooth LE.
- iOS app available at launch which adds functionality.
- Sleep function to prevent battery wastage.
- ¼”-20 mount for your tripod, dashboard, or selfie stick.
What does the Movi app do?
The new Freefly Movi app (only for iOS at launch) unlocks a few new modes:
- Majestic - Gives you direct control over the Movi, stabilising your footage automatically. Choose between presets including horizen leveling to acheive stunning and smooth results.
- Echo - Echo allows you to capture complex shots that previously took a small team. Choose the start and end point of your shot then let Movi control the rest.
- Timelapse - For creating smooth timelapses - anywhere, anytime! Shoot left, right, up or down with complete precision.
- Movilapse - Create timelapses while you're still moving - create some amazing shots as the Freefly Movi responds 10x slower than normal, giving you super smooth shots while on the move.
- Smartpod - Manually point your Freefly Movi at a subject and it'll accurately hold the position.
- Orbit - Choose a speed and direction to circle a subject with ease. Movi will stay fixed on your subject while you move.
What does the Freefly Movi come with?
In the Movi's box you'll find:
- 1 x Freefly Movi
- 1 x Flexible USB A-C Cable
- 1 x Travel Case
When does Freefly Movi launch?
The only date we have at present is Q2 2018.
If you pre order the Freefly Movi with Heliguy in the UK - we'll keep you updated as and when we have confirmed shipping dates from Freefly.
What phones can I use with the Freefly Movi?
The Freefly Movi supports only iPhones at launch, but Android devices should be supported in the near future (we hope).
Any mobile phone up to 90mm wide can be used with the Freefly Movi.
That means every kind of iPhone is supported - but take off any bulky cases if you're using a "Plus" model.
How is the Freefly Movi's Battery Life?
Freefly have stated that they have seen "over 8 hours" battery life when using the Movi.
However, this is under "light use" and only with a "well-balanced setup".
Realistically, you could be looking at 4-5 hours with regular use.
The more motion the gimbal has to compensate for during use, the faster the battery will drain.
Freefly Movi FAQs
Can I shoot Selfies with the Movi?
Yes you can - the Freefly Movi can be configured to use either camera on your phone, so you can choose the selfie camera if you wish.
Can I use the Freefly Movi on a tripod?
Yes - the ¼-20 insert featured on the base of the Movi means you can mount it on many tripods that use this industry-standard connection.
Is the Freefly Movi waterproof?
No. Freefly have said that the Movi will certainly withstand some light rain - but as a rule, it's not waterproof and doesn't have an IP rating.
Is the exposure adjustable when shooting with the Freefly Movi?
It is indeed - similarly to the standard iPhone camera app, you just tap your phone screen to adjust exposure or focus.
How do I charge my Freefly Movi?
Using the USB-C cable that comes in the box.
Can I tune my Movi for better performance?
Yes - there's an option for "Robot ettings" in the Movi app. This allows you to tune the Movi to your needs on any particular shoot.
Can I use lens attachments with the Freefly Movi?
Yes - Freefly have stated that third party lens attachments can be used on the phone when using the Movi. However, you will need to counterbalance the extra weight to ensure you still get the best performance. A counter-balance kit will be available just after launch.
What do the "Trigger" buttons do?
They are used with the Movi app to start / stop recording. The triggers on the bottom have different functions depend on the function you're using.
Will there be firmware updates for the Movi?
As with all Freefly products there will be plenty of firmware updates over time to improve functionality or add features. These will be delivered via the app and you'll be notified automatically when a new update becomes available.
Can I shoot vertical videos on the Freefly Movi too?
Yes - there's a setting for vertical (portrait) video for use with Instagram etc.