|Permitted Operational Categories||Open||Specific|
- Theoretical Learning
- Theoretical Exam
- Self-Guided Practical Flight Training
- Theoretical Learning
- Theoretical Exam
- Operations Manual
- RAE Practical Flight Assessment
- Initial Application
- A1 Transitional (250g - 500g)
- 0 - 25kg SUA
- Real estate
- Roof inspections
- Industrial inspections
- Drone mapping
- Public safety
- Search and rescue
Commercial Activity Permitted
- No costs with CAA
- EVLOS Fixed Wing Bolt-on Modules
- Any SUA (0-25kg)
- Governance & operating procedures
- Multiple RP permitted
- Limited to aircraft
- Longer training pathway
- Comprehensive Syllabus
- Longer Examination
- Ongoing CAA Costs
- Audit & Governance
Industry Leader in Drone Training
heliguy™ drone training is trusted by UK Emergency Services, Oil & Gas Majors and the AEC industry.
heliguy™ Drone Training
heliguy™ is an industry leader in drone training.
Our in-house team of instructors - including ex-military personnel - have vast experience in multirotor and fixed-wing aircraft to empower commercial and enterprise drone operations.
They have taught more than 3,000 candidates and delivered training to the likes of Network Rail, National Grid, Balfour Beatty, London Fire Brigade, Phillips 66, PD Ports, and police forces around the UK.
Who Trains with heliguy™
Take a look at some of the brands and business trained by heliguy™.
UK Drone Training Courses
heliguy™ offer a range of drone training courses, click a course to find out more.
Extra skills and additional training
heliguy™ offer a range of added value training courses alongside CAA certifications.
What kind of drone training do you need?
Cut through the confusing regulatory setup and understand which drone training is right for you.
A2 CofC vs GVC Drone Training
There are two main drone training courses in the UK: The A2 CofC (Certificate of Competency) and the GVC (General Visual Line-of-sight Certificate). Which one you choose depends on your drones and where you plan to use them.
Use the table below, or visit our drone license calculator, to choose which training course is right for you. Alternatively talk to our expert training team who will help you decide.
A2 CofC vs GVC Drone Training breakdown table
UK Drone Training Ecosystem
Supporting the lifecycle of a drone programme.
As a UK CAA-approved RAE (Recognised Assessment Entity), heliguy™ delivers standard GVC and A2 CofC drone training. But our provision extends much further than that.
Our multi-facetted and deeply integrated training ecosystem provides a structured, tailored and progressive solution to help operators build and scale their drone programmes.
This includes closed courses for UAS teams, on-site mentorship to build pilot competency for complex operations like industrial inspections, an OSC (Operational Safety Case) consultancy for enhanced operational permissions, and additional industry-specific courses, like fixed-wing, surveying, and thermography.
Closed Training Courses
Dedicated training delivered to a large group or organisation in a 'closed course' format.
This approach enables standardised and highly-specific drone training.
Our closed courses have been delivered to the likes of Network Rail and Balfour Beatty, while our ES-DOT course caters for the UK emergency services.
Complex OSC Consultancy
Gain competitive edge and fly more specialist drone missions with a complex Operational Safety Case.
Our OSC consultancy service - led by Josh, a former CAA OSC expert - will help you create a compliant and bespoke document - saving money in the process.
The Drone Assistive Program, our hybrid industry-specific training model, delivers on-site mentorship to ensure your pilots can operate safely and competently during complex operations, such as flare stack inspections.
Also features task-focused and application-specific classroom learning, such as use of optical and thermal sensors, mapping/surveying principles, data capture/analysis, and emergency services/crisis management.
Scale your drone programme with our additional industry courses.
These include a specialist fixed-wing module as a bolt-on to the GVC course.
We also run a Continuing Professional Development course (CPD) designed for public safety and other enterprise drone operators to maintain and enhance operational standards and compliance.
Operations Manual Creation
GVC candidates benefit from the heliguy™ streamlined Operations Manual creation service which has been endorsed by IQ verify as meeting the highest industry standards.
This removes the complexity of building the document, shaves days off this previously time-consuming process, and helps candidates build a compliant Manual tailored to their operations.
We also run an Operations Manual renewal service, to help operators keep their document up to date.
Operations Manual Creation
heliguy™ End to end support
Drone training is just one part of a drone programme.
heliguy™ provides end-to-end support encompassing all aspects of a drone programme, from dynamic supply to in-house repairs & maintenance. This provides continuity from your drone training experience.
- Free Consultancy: This comes as standard. Benefit from our vast knowledge pool, industry case studies and network of worldwide suppliers to build a tailored and appropriate solution for you.
- Vast Supply, Including Rental: Access our vast stock inventory, specialising in, but not confined to, DJI hardware. We also offer drone rental for dynamic scaling, one-off jobs, and proof of concept.
- Logistics Network: We can deliver next day and are IATA Certified to ship high-power batteries overseas; especially useful for international drone programmes. We've got experience of shipping to the U.S, Africa and the Middle East.
- In-house Repairs: Utilise our in-house team of DJI-approved technicians to minimise your downtime. This includes fast-track repairs, swap-outs, fault diagnosis, and one-to-one support.
- R&D Lab: heliguy™ Lab drives drone industry innovation. In-house 3D printing machines for R&D, product development/design, and rapid prototyping.
- Drone Defence: Need to protect your airspace? heliguy™ Detect can help. Built on DJI AeroScope, we've supplied drone defence solutions to Gatwick Airport, the British Grand Prix, and the MET Police.
UK Drone Training Accreditations
We hold a wide range of commercial, industry and service based accreditations and awards.
Meet the Drone Training Team
Meet the expert heliguy™ drone training team who will guide you through your certification.
Head of Training, Training Instructor
- Former commercial drone operator, with a passion for aerial photography / videography.
- Key member of heliguy™ training team since 2017.
- 13 years in the British Armed Forces, attaining rank of Staff Sergeant and conducting international tours.
- Former Royal Military Police, bringing his knowledge of policing to the emergency service application of UAS.
- Experience of working in the TV, film and gaming industry.
Head of Safety, Training Instructor
- A commercial drone remote pilot, working as a full-time Heliguy training instructor since 2016.
- Vast experience of working as an instructor: BSAC Assistant Diving Instructor, PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer.
- One of the UK's first to attain Mountain Training Association Development Coach Award.
- Tom not only flies drones, but builds both fixed wing and FPV drones.
- Qualified drone training pilot, with GVC, A2 CofC and a PfCO.
- Recreational drone pilot since 2017, specialising in aerial photography.
- Photography work featured by the BBC, Forestry England and Mountain Warehouse.
- Vast training background, developing experience in NHS forensic section and at HM Prison Service.
- Worked with drones since 2008, including roles as a military UAV Operator and international operations of the Hermes 450 Tactical UAV.
- Logged 1500+ flying hours with fixed-wing and multi-rotor drones.
- 7 years' experience as RPAS instructor; conducting flight assessments, instructing courses, and deploying internationally.
- Former chief Remote Pilot for UK-based fixed-wing drone manufacturer.
- 9½ years as a helicopter pilot for the Royal Navy, flying the Merlin Mk3 and serving in Europe and the Far East.
- Holder of an ATPL Commercial Pilot Licence.
- Qualified drone pilot: GVC and former PfCO holder.
- Operates a drone services company, utilising DJI aircraft for a range of jobs, from inspection to wedding photography.
- Logged 500+ flying hours with rotary and fixed-wing aircraft.
- Former UAS Technical Surveyor at the CAA, responsible for the evaluation, development and approval of OSC applications.
- Well versed in the process, requirements, and best practises of building an OSC document.
- His experience will save applicants' time in creating an effective and compliant OSC and should stop the need to go through potentially costly reviews and rewrites with the CAA - saving you money in the process.
In-house GIS specialist
- Spends 50% of his time creating and delivering dedicated GIS drone training courses, and 50% in sales/consultancy.
- Account manager for AEC clients such as Laing O'Rourke, Esri UK, and Komatsu, providing aerial surveying consultancy, hardware supply, and workflow support.
- Experienced with Esri SiteScan, Pix4D, DJI Terra, DroneDeploy and Agisoft Metashape mapping software.
- Guest speaker at 2021 Digital Construction Week in London, representing heliguy™ and Esri UK.
- Graduated from Newcastle University with BSc Upper Second Class Honours in GIS.
Drone Training Videos
We've created some video guidance around drone training. Simply click the images below to watch.
ONLINE DRONE TRAINING
Learn more about the heliguy™ digital learning portal.
heliguy™ Learning Management System
- Accessible, on demand content
- Blended and flexible learning solution
- LLearn at your own pace and re-watch content to reinforce learning
- Live interactive chat with heliguy™ instructors
- Training Hub for A2 CofC, GVC, and other courses
- Bonus material, industry updates and product discounts
- Access interactive Drone Safety Map, powered by Altitude Angel's GuardianUTM, for advanced flight planning and safety
Drone Regulations and Registration
Learn how to register as a drone operator in line with UK drone laws.
UK drone laws
The new regulations started in the UK and throughout Europe on December 31, 2020.
The regulations intend to do away with the limitations and ambiguity around commercial and non-commercial drone operations, and instead follow three basic concepts, based around:
- the type of operation being conducted;
- the level of risk;
- the level of performance;
In the long run, the new regulations will open up new possibilities for operating a drone, including letting you fly closer to people than you have been able to previously, and letting you sell your stunning drone images without needing to complete a drone training course.
UK drone registration
You must register before flying most drones or model aircraft outdoors in the UK. This is done through the UK Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service (DMARES).
There are two elements and you may need to meet both.
- If you’ll fly, you must pass a free theory test to get a flyer ID.
- If you’re responsible for a drone or model aircraft, you must register for an operator ID.
It is against the law to fly a drone or model aircraft without having the required IDs.
However, you do not need to register if you will only fly or use the following types of drone or model aircraft:
- Toys below 250g or in C0 class;
- Those in C0 class with no camera, whether they are a toy or not;
- Those below 250g with no camera and no class mark, whether they’re a toy or not.
UK Drone Training FAQs
Answers to your most frequently asked questions about drone training.
Related Blog Posts
Read blog posts and related articles on the heliguy™ blog.