- DJI launches DJI Mavic Mini drone, weighing 249g, placing it in the lowest and safest weight class of drones;
- Because it is under the 250g threshold, no need to register the drone under UK and USA laws;
- Mavic Mini costs £369, while the Combo is priced £459;
- Highlights include 30 minute flight time, up to 4km HD Video Transmission, 3-axis gimbal supporting 12MP images, and an array of smart photography modes;
- Pre-order yours from Heliguy now. Early bird 20% discount on Repair Refresh is also available.
DJI has unveiled the Mavic Mini drone - which costs £369 and weighs 249g, meaning that it will not need to be registered with the UK or USA Governments.
Released today, the DJI Mavic Mini - The Everyday FlyCam is a compact yet powerful drone which offers simplified flying.
Its key features are:
- 249g Ultralight. This is under the 250g registration in the UK and USA, plus other countries.
- This incredibly portable drone measures 160mm (length) x 202mm (width) x 55mm (height) when it is unfolded;
- 30-minute maximum flight time;
- Top speed of 46.8kph / 29mph (S-Mode);
- Up to 4km HD Video Transmission;
- Vision Sensor + GPS Precise Hover;
- 3-Axis Gimbal supporting 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K Quad HD videos;
- Mavic Mini’s QuickShot modes include Dronie, Circle, Helix, and Rocket;
- Camera Simplified Recording and Editing.
DJI Mavic Mini: Compact, Portable and Under 250g Drone Registration Threshold
Weighing under 250 grams, the DJI Mavic Mini is almost as light as the average smartphone.
This makes it exceptionally portable and places it in the lowest and safest weight class of drones, which in many countries may exempt it from certain regulations.
For example, in the UK, United States, Canada, and China, you can fly the Mavic Mini without the need to register it with the government, as it falls under the 250g drone registration threshold.
In the UK, the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service opens on Tuesday at Register-drones.caa.co.uk. Registration is mandatory from Saturday, November 30, 2019.
Anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg and flying outdoors will need to register as an operator. The cost for this will be £9 renewable annually.
Anyone flying a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to take and pass an online education package. This is free and renewable every three years.
In the USA, the FAA requires you to register your aircraft if it weighs more than 250 grams. Registration costs $5 per aircraft and is valid for three years.
DJI Mavic Mini: Stabilised Gimbal Camera
The DJI Mavic Mini supports 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K Quad HD videos (Quad HD is quadruple the resolution of standard 720p high definition, which itself has a resolution of 1280x720 pixels).
A 3-axis motorised gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear, ultra-smooth footage.
Users can take advantage of a number of photography/video modes. These are:
Complex shots are easier than ever.
Shots that look like they came from a Hollywood film set are just a few taps away with Mavic Mini’s QuickShot modes, which include Dronie, Circle, Helix, and Rocket.
Just select your QuickShot and Mavic Mini will execute an elaborate preset motion while recording.
Take the automatically generated short video and share it instantly with friends on social media.
Smoother motion for compositions that wow. Slow down Mavic Mini’s flight speed and movements for an added layer of precision and stability. This mode is especially useful when flying in narrow or complex spaces.
DJI Mavic Mini: Easy To Use
The new DJI Fly app offers a simple and intuitive user experience, enabling you to create cinematic shots and awesome videos with just a few taps.
Even beginners with no editing experience whatsoever can turn any moment into a social media hit.
It even has Flight Tutorial, a feature to help you get started with Mavic Mini quickly and safely.
DJI Mavic Mini: Safe Flying
The DJI Mavic Mini comes equipped with a 360° Propeller Guard that fully protects the propellers and improves flight safety. The Propeller Guard is featured in the Mavic Mini Combo edition.
Thanks to its downward vision sensing system and GPS, Mavic Mini can also hover precisely both indoors and outdoors.
DJI Mavic Mini: Remote controller
A dedicated remote controller maintains a HD, low-latency video feed at a distance of up to 4km. For clarity, 4km relates to American models, while the distance is up to 2km in Europe (CE compliant). Detachable control sticks can be easily stored inside the remote controller for added portability.
DJI Mavic Mini: Extended Flight Time
The DJI Mavic Mini’s weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer FlyCams on the market.
Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery (measured at a constant speed of 14kph in windless conditions).
DJI Mavic Mini v DJI Mavic Mini Combo
Here is a comparison between the two.
|Mavic Mini||Mavic Mini Combo|
|Aircraft x 1||Aircraft x 1|
|Gimbal Protector x 1||Gimbal Protector x 1|
|Intelligent Flight Battery x 1||Intelligent Flight Battery x 3|
|Remote Controller x 1||Remote Controller x 1|
|Pair of Spare Propellers x 1||Pair of Spare Propellers x 3|
|Micro USB Cable x 1||Micro USB Cable x 2|
|RC Cable (Micro-USB Connector) x 1||RC Cable (Micro-USB Connector) x 1|
|RC Cable (USB-C) x 1||RC Cable (USB-C) x 1|
|RC Cable (Lightning) x 1||RC Cable (Lightning) x 1|
|Pair of Spare Control Sticks x 1||Pair of Spare Control Sticks x 1|
|Screwdriver x 1||Screwdriver x 1|
|Spare screw x 6||Spare screw x 18|
|360° Propeller Guard x 1|
|Two-way Charging Hub x 1|
|DJI 18W USB Charger x 1|
|Carrying bag x 1|
DJI Mavic Mini: Accessories
DJI Has so far revealed that the following accessories will be available for the Mavic Mini.
- Two-Way Charging Hub: The Two-Way Charging Hub can charge up to three batteries in sequence. It can also be used to store and transport batteries, and even as a power bank to charge your mobile device. This is included in the Mavic Mini Combo.
- DIY Creative Kit: Make your FlyCam truly yours with this kit that includes shell stickers and colourful markers.
- Charging Base: Show off your Mavic Mini while charging it with this convenient charging base.
- DJI Mini Bag: Pack your Mavic Mini and Two-Way Charging Hub easily with this signature shoulder bag that’s perfect for everyday use.
- Snap Adapter: Personalise your Mavic Mini with a wide range of compatible accessories when you use the Snap Adapter.
- Propeller Holder: This lightweight propeller holder protects your FlyCam propellers from being damaged during transportation. It can also be used to fasten your Mavic Mini to your bag or belt.
DJI Mavic Mini: Repair Refresh
Heliguy is offering Mavic Mini customers the chance to add Repair Refresh to their order, which will help to protect your drone if it gets damaged over a period of 12 months . This normally costs £49, but Heliguy is offering an Early Bird 20% discount for a limited time only, meaning you will pay £39.20.