Drone Surveying Course
heliguy™ Drone Surveying Training Course
The heliguy™ Aerial Surveying Training Course provides comprehensive training to help professionals fully utilise drones for surveying.
This in-depth modular course focuses on the fundamentals and principles of drone mapping and land surveying, with a focus on DJI drone surveying solutions.
Designed to benefit end-to-end surveying workflows, it covers flight planning, data capture, data processing, and data deliverables - for photogrammetry and LiDAR.
The course - delivered over a period of up to five days - comprises theory, practical and scenario-based training, delivered in the classroom and in the field.
Learn from the in-house heliguy™ surveying team, which has delivered surveying training to the likes of Balfour Beatty VINCI for deploying drones on the HS2 development, and created a DJI L1 LiDAR course which was subsequently purchased by DJI for global rollout.
Aerial Surveying Training Course: Learning Outcomes
The heliguy™ drone surveying course provides attendees with a comprehensive understanding of using a drone for surveying.
The course covers:
- Mission planning;
- Data capture best practises and workflows, including oblique, topographic, and manual drone flights;
- GNSS data collection: Understanding NTRIP, base stations, and rovers;
- Ground control and check points;
- Photogrammetry and LiDAR drone mapping;
- Processing software, including DJI Terra and TerraSolid;
- Data processing, cleaning, and analysis, including volume calculations;
- Data outputs/deliverables, such as 2D orthomosaics and 3D modelling.
The course is aimed at enterprise organisations that have recently adopted drones for surveying and want to benefit from expert support to help them realise the full potential of unmanned aircraft.
It is delivered in a closed-course format, offering each organisation the chance to learn in an environment that is exclusive to them.
The tables below provides a day-by-day course overview. This is based on full course delivery over a period of five days. However, the syllabus is modular and can be built on a module-by-module basis.
|Surveying Fundamentals||An Introduction to Surveying. Geodesy: Coordinate systems; Satellite positioning; Sources of positional corrections; Accuracy.||Classroom (theory)|
|GNSS Data Capture||Connecting to NTRIP, or base station. Rover data collection. Base station data collection.||Classroom and field (theory and practical)|
|Photogrammetry Introduction||Photogrammetry introduction. Photogrammetry theory. Payload factors. Mission planning factors.||Classroom (theory)|
|Photogrammetry Mission Planning||Smart Controller mission planning. Scenario - Topographical survey with ground control.||Classroom (practical)|
|Photogrammetry Data Capture||Practical Task: Scenario - Topographical survey with ground control.||Field (practical)|
|Photogrammetry Processing||Introduction to DJI Terra Pro. Tagging ground control and check points. Processing output||Classroom (practical)|
|Photogrammetry Data (Review)||Output accuracy report. Data measurement (volumes etc.)||Classroom (practical)|
|Advanced Photogrammetry||Import KML. Oblique mission planning. Smart Oblique Capture.||Classroom and field (practical)|
|Photogrammetry 3D Modelling||Manual data capture and oblique. Structure modelling.||Field (practical)|
|Photogrammetry 3D Processing||DJI Terra processing. Demo - Advanced modelling processing.||Classroom (practical)|
|Photogrammetry 3D Data (Review)||Output accuracy report. Applications of 3D point cloud and render.||Classroom (practical)|
|LiDAR Introduction||LiDAR theory, surveying, and applications. Processing and data manipulation.||Classroom (theory)|
|LiDAR Data Collection||LiDAR mission planning, data capture, and processing.||Classroom and field (practical)|
|Scenario-based Assessment||Photogrammetry or LiDAR.||Field (assessment)|
|Course Summary||Further Processing - TerraSolid Online Course.||Classroom|
heliguy™: Your Drone Survey Partner
heliguy™ has a dedicated drone and land surveying department offering end-to-end workflow supply and support.
Benefits of choosing heliguy™ include:
- Consultancy and product supply;
- On-site real-world data collection and scenario-based training;
- Technology handovers;
- Vast product ecosystem, including drones, LiDAR scanners, photogrammetry cameras, GNSS equipment, and software packages;
- Department expertise includes Geographical Information Science, Land Surveying and Mapping Science, and Civil and Structural Engineering;
- Learn from a team that supports clients such as Komatsu and Laing O’Rourke, and has delivered survey-specific training to the likes of Phillips 66, Associated British Ports, and Balfour Beatty VINCI;
- Lifetime support, including in-house data processing, crash support, and repairs.