DJI GO has been launched as a new app which adds exciting new features and functions to your Phantom 3 Professional, Advanced or Standard
and Inspire 1
. It replaces the DJI Pilot but in reality it's DJI Pilot V2.0 so there's a new interface at the front end and some new features but the business end when you're flying will be very familiar.
The DJI GO App
There will be however three long awaited additions to the DJI GO app - Intelligent Flight Modes: Follow Me, Point of Interest (POI) and Waypoints. They're things that our customers have been asking about for ages.
DJI say "These intelligent features, originally released for DJI’s professional products, will be available through a firmware upgrade for the rest of the DJI Phantom 3 series and the DJI Inspire 1 in coming weeks. They are also available through SDK apps already developed by third party DJI developers."
DJI GO will also work with the new DJI Matrice 100
which, as we've discussed before, shares a lot of its DNA with the Inspire 1. And the exciting news is that heliguy™ is one of the very first in the UK to have taken delivery of a Matrice. We'll be testing it out very soon so watch this space.
The DJI Matrice 100
Because DJI GO replaces the DJI Pilot app it means you'll need to do a firmware upgrade which is now available for the Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional, the Inspire 1 and the Matrice 100. See the links at the bottom of this article.
So what's new? Well almost all of the new features are to do with processing and sharing your video content (see What's New in V2.0). A lot of pilots on multirotor forums aren't very keen on having additional social media facilities or additional editing and post-production options. They say they would prefer DJI to concentrate on the flying and filming rather than the chatting and sharing.
Intelligent Flight Modes
But Follow Me is one of the trio of new features that have been in the pipeline for quite a while now that will be welcomed by many fliers. It means you can programme your drone to follow you and film you as it tracks the phone on your remote controller. Let's hope it doesn't contribute to too many crashes.
Point of Interest is a great facility that's been available on higher end DJI multirotors like the S900 and S1000 for some time. You just fly over a location, mark its location as a POI and then fly away to your filming position. You can then fly around the POI in a circle and at a constant distance with the camera pointing at the subject. You can also climb or descend in a spiral while keeping your shot centred on the POI. It's a great way of helping you to achieve tricky shots.
Waypoints allows you to pre-plan a route and set heights and speeds along the way. You still need to be in control of the aircraft and to point the camera - it's not a fly and forget facility, which could obviously be fraught with danger.
DJI Phantom 3 Professional
What's new in DJI GO?
1. Brand new user interface.
2. Record and upload aerial videos, and sync them to your mobile device in real-time.
3. Upload your artwork in one click. Access and share them any time.
4. Single videos can also be shared and there are more video templates to choose from.
5. New photo editing features including colour adjustments, cropping, watermarks and filters.
6. New ‘Explore’ page which lets you interact with other aerial photographers and learn about DJI’s latest news.
7. Added DJI Bulletin Board System to allow you to share ideas with others.
8. Support for the Matrice 100 Onboard SDK activation.
9. Bugs fixes for improved stability of the app.
10. Intelligent Flight Modes: Follow Me, Point of Interest and Waypoints.
1. Live HD View and On Screen Flight Parameters
2. Remote Photo and Video Capture with Full Gimbal Control and Manual Camera Settings Controls
3. Real-time Flight Record
4. Comprehensive Media Library
5.“Director” Automatic Video Editor
6. Instant Photo and Video Sharing
7. Connecting Creativity with SkyPixel
8. YouTube Live Streaming Compatibility
9. Flight Settings Customization and Dynamic Map View
10. Help Documentation and Video Tutorials
At the moment DJI GO is only available on iTunes for iOS but an Android version will be out soon.
The Phantom 3 Professional firmware must be updated to v1.3.20 or above in order to use the Library functions in the DJI GO app.
The Inspire 1 firmware must be updated to v1.3.0 or above in order to use the Library functions in the DJI GO app.
More information on updating your firmware: