DJI Launches Mini 2 4K Camera Drone
DJI has launched the Mini 2 – weighing less than 249 grams and featuring a 4K camera.
This high-performance camera drone is a follow-up to the ground-breaking Mavic Mini.
The easy-to-fly DJI Mini 2 features improved imaging capabilities, powerful flight performance, and significantly enhanced transmission technology for a longer and more reliable connection.
Intelligent, pre-programmed modes have been optimised to help capture eye-catching footage with just a few taps.
Beginner tutorials and learning tools enable new pilots to get up to speed on how to fly this fun new drone.
The Mini 2 is available as a standard package, featuring the drone, remote controller, and one battery. It is priced £419.
A Fly More Combo is also available, which includes the drone, three batteries, charging hub, a carrying case and remote controller. This is priced £549.
Key Features Of The DJI Mini 2
The Mini 2 has a number of key features.
- Ultralight, foldable, and portable
- 1/2.3 inch sensor
- Capture 12MP images and 4K 30fps @ 100Mbps video
- Sub 249g weight places Mini 2 in the safest drone category
- Up to 4x zoom
- JPEG + RAW photo formats
- OcuSync 2.0 transmission system
- Maximum transmission range 10 km (FCC) or 6 km (CE)
- Safety features including Level 5 wind resistance, geofencing, Return to Home, and Altitude Limit
- Array of intelligent features
- New and improved accessory range
Upgraded Flight Performance
Similar to the Mavic Mini, the DJI Mini 2 is incredibly portable.
With a sub-249g take-off weight, iconic folding design, and tiny frame (138 x 81 x 58 mm, folded / 159 x 203 x 56 mm unfolded, without props), the Mini 2 is the perfect travel companion.
Yet, for its small size, the Mini 2 has powerful capabilities, with some vital flight performance upgrades compared to the original version.
For starters, the Mini 2 has OcuSync 2.0 transmission technology, ensuring a stable and long-distance connection between the controller and drone.
Dual-frequency technology automatically switches between channels to help against interference.
DJI Mini 2 has a maximum transmission range of 10 km (FCC) / 6km (CE) – greatly exceeding its predecessor.
Upgraded motors provide 31 minutes of flight time, faster acceleration and speed, and the ability to withstand winds up to 24mph.
Fly The Mini 2 – Safely
Weighing under 249g and with a range of safety features, the DJI Mini 2 is an incredibly safe drone.
To help situational awareness, a live feed from the drone’s camera is sent to your mobile phone.
Simplified buttons and functions keep things streamlined and easy to understand compared to more advanced drones.
The Mini 2 benefits from high-grade positioning and vision sensors, helping it hover precisely in place.
Meanwhile, GPS keeps track of where the drone is while the vision sensors on the bottom map out the ground below it and assist automated landing.
The Mini 2 also has:
- Geofencing: Keeps the drone out of sensitive areas like airports.
- Return to Home: Activate this feature so the drone returns to the pilot.
- Altitude Lock: Adjustable limit on how high the drone can go.
Prop guards can also be fitted to the Mini 2, further increasing safety.
Together, these modes and features make DJI Mini 2 not only a thrill to fly but safe for all skill levels.
DJI Mini 2 – Improved Camera
The Mini 2 has a 1/2.3-inch sensor capable of recording 12MP images and a maximum video resolution of 4K/30fps @100 Mbps.
These images can be saved in standard JPEG as well as RAW for advanced users who want to edit footage further.
The Mini 2’s class-leading 3-axis gimbal ensures smooth footage, compensating for drone movement, wind, and other factors.
While recording in 1080p resolution, pilots can get closer to their subject without actually having to move the drone thanks to the 4X Zoom (2X lossless in quality) option.
Pre-programmed intelligent modes enable the drone to capture stunning footage with set movements and imaging features.
Make your content stand out with just a tap thanks to a range of pre-set modes.
These include QuickShots, such as:
- Dronie: DJI Mini 2 flies backwards and upward, with the camera tracking your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 ft.
- Helix: DJI Mini 2 flies upward and away, spiralling around your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 ft.
- Rocket: DJI Mini 2 flies straight up into the air with the camera pointing downward following your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 ft.
- Circle: DJI Mini 2 will circle around your subject at a constant altitude and distance.
- Boomerang: DJI Mini 2 flies a boomerang-like oval flight path around your subject, starting and stopping video in the same place.
Content creators can also capture a range of panoramas, including:
- Sphere: DJI Mini 2 automatically captures 26 images and stitches them together for a crystal-clear image.
- 180°: Captures seven photos for sweeping landscape images.
- Wide-Angle: Captures a wide 3×3 image consisting of nine images.
Mini 2 also has an array of image modes, providing different photo modes for different scenarios.
- AEB Triple Shot: Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) takes three images of varying exposure and merges them for a vivid image. This can be edited further to bring out a High Dynamic Range (HDR) image in post-processing.
- Timed Shots: Give yourself a few extra seconds before taking that photo with timed shots.
DJI Fly App For Dynamic Content Sharing
Once you have captured your content, use the DJI Fly app and DJI Mini 2 to share it on social media, quickly and easily.
Now, your mobile phone can connect directly to the drone without the remote controller.
After capturing shareable footage, the images can be downloaded at a high-speed rate of 20 MB/s, after you’ve landed safely.
Once the images are downloaded to your phone, apply your own edits with the dedicated editing tools in the DJI Fly app or use the new Enhanced Photo option.
This applies edits automatically to make it pop. Video footage can take up a lot of space so now, pilots can choose to trim it before downloading using Trimmed Download.
What’s The Difference Between DJI Mini 2 Standard And Fly More Combo?
Two versions of the Mini 2 are available; the Standard package and the Fly More Combo.
The Combo is more expensive, but as it features extra accessories, it can work out more value for money.
Check out what is in the box of each package:
|Accessory||Mini 2 Standard||Mini 2 Fly More Combo|
|DJI Mini 2 Intelligent Flight Battery||x 1||x 3|
|DJI Mini 2 Propellers (Pair)||x 1||x 3|
|RC Cable (Standard Micro-USB Connector)||x 1||x 1|
|RC Cable (USB Type-C Connector)||x 1||x 1|
|RC Cable (Lightning Connector)||x 1||x 1|
|Control Sticks (Pair)||x 1||x 1|
|Mavic Mini Screwdriver||x 1||x 1|
|DJI Mini 2 Screws||x 6||x 18|
|Mavic Mini Gimbal Protector||x 1||x 1|
|Communication Cable-USB-C||x 1||x 1|
|DJI Mini 2 Propeller Holder||–||x 1|
|DJI Mini 2 Manuals||x 1||x 1|
|DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub||–||x 1|
|DJI 18W USB Charger||–||x 1|
|DJI Mini 2 Shoulder Bag||–||x 1|
DJI Mini 2 Accessories
A range of new and updated accessories are available for the Mini 2.
- DJI Mini Bag +: Carry your drone in style.
- Charging Display Case: An illuminated clear, bell jar.
- DIY Creative Kit: Personalise your Mini 2 with custom stickers or blank stickers to create your own artwork.
- Snap Adapter: An adapter that snaps on to the top of the Mini 2 that allows for the attachment of a small LED screen that messages can be written on.