UPDATE (Monday, May 23, 2022): DJI has released a further firmware update for the M300 RTK after some operators experienced battery issues following the installation of a firmware update on May 13, 2022, which brought FlightHub 2, DJI Pilot 2 and H20N compatibility, as well as L1 Terrain Follow efficiencies. The new firmware update (v04.00.01.11) corrects the following:
- Fixed an occasional issue: Where the Intelligent Flight Battery required maintenance and could not be used for flight after updating the firmware to v01.02.05.43.
- Fixed an occasional issue: where the Mission flight files stored in the remote controller failed to display in the flight route library after updating the firmware to v04.00.01.10.
- Fixed issue: Where the app crashed when tapping the PSDK shortcut button in the video transmission view.
- For full details about the update, click here.
The M300 RTK firmware update also enables operators to use the new DJI Pilot 2, which has a revamped enterprise flight interface to improve flight safety and task efficiency.
The update also adds support for the H20N night-vision sensor.
Meanwhile, the L1 firmware update (v04.00.01.06) adds numerous optimisations for the mapping payload, including improving the efficiency of Terrain Follow missions by reducing the total length of the route and the number of waypoints.
The firmware updates will benefit M300 RTK operators. Continue reading for more details.
M300 RTK Firmware Update: DJI FlightHub 2 Compatibility
DJI FlightHub 2 is an all-in-one cloud-based drone operations management platform.
Following the firmware update, M300 RTK operators will now be able to benefit from:
- Added support for cloud livestreams with Zenmuse H20 series.
- Added support for displaying points, lines, and areas in DJI Pilot 2 and DJI FlightHub 2 at the same time.
- Added support for real-time media files upload from DJI Pilot 2, viewing photos and panoramas, and managing media files in DJI FlightHub 2.
- Added support for visible light and infrared cloud mapping with Zenmuse H20 series, and checking mapping data in both DJI Pilot 2 and DJI FlightHub 2.
- Added support to create cloud flight routes and manage routes in both DJI Pilot 2 and DJI FlightHub 2.
Find out more about FlightHub 2 in our in-depth guide.
Please note that the current version is updated for experiencing DJI FlightHub 2. Use DJI FlightHub 2 together with M300 RTK, Zenmuse H20 series, and DJI Pilot 2 Open Beta. It is not recommended to use Zenmuse P1 and Zenmuse L1.
M300 RTK Firmware Update: DJI Pilot 2
The update has added support for the DJI Pilot 2 app. This update is designed to improve flight safety and task efficiency.
The update provides the following:
- Upgraded home screen, and added support for viewing GEO Zone map, album, and device health status, managing unlocking licenses, cloud services, and flight route tasks.
- Upgraded camera view, and added support for quick control of aircraft and camera and a clearer display of task information and flight status.
- Adjusted PinPoint size according to the distance between PinPoint and aircraft, and added support for displaying icon indicating Home point and PinPoint positions.
- Made sure warning messages are displayed accurately and timely, and warning history can be checked quickly.
- Added support for managing PinPoints, adding, deleting, selecting, and viewing PinPoints using 5D button, and adding lines and areas in map view.
M300 RTK Firmware Update: H20N
The firmware update has also added support for the DJI Zenmuse H20N.
The H20N is a powerful night-vision payload, with starlight sensors. It also has thermal, zoom and laser rangefinder capabilities and is ideal for search and rescue, public safety and security missions in low-light environments.
M300 RTK: Optimised Features
The firmware update has also provided operators with some optimisation benefits. These include:
- Added support to give priority to charge top and bottom paired batteries in the battery station.
- Added support to zoom camera by scrolling the right dial while pressing the Confirm button.
- Added support for H20 series cameras with a minimum 1.3x zoom.
- Added support for saving Live Mission Recording data during flight (Note: If AI Spot-Check is enabled, photos still need to be downloaded after landing).
- Flight tasks can be paused and resumed in camera view during flight.
- Added support to customise third-party camera parameters.
- Photos and videos are named according to waypoint name.
- Optimised flight route descriptions.
L1 Firmware Update: Improved Efficiency Of Terrain Follow Missions
One of the key enhancements of the L1 firmware update is improvements to the efficiency of Terrain Follow missions.
The terrain following algorithm has been optimised to reduce the total length of the route and the number of waypoints.
This is demonstrated in the two tables below, using sample data from DJI.
Route Length Optimisation
|Length (M)||Data 1||Data 2||Data 3||Data 4|
|Waypoints||Data 1||Data 2||Data 3||Data 4|
During a Terrain Follow optimisation test conducted by DJI, they found that the V4 firmware update improved efficiency by more than 40%.
The test was conducted with these parameters...
- Survey Area: About 0.6 square kilometres
- Flight Altitude: 100m
- Flight Speed: 10m/s
- Lateral Overlap: 20%
...and it took the M300 RTK/L1 about 24 minutes to conduct the mission with the old firmware, but only about 14 minutes with the new V4 firmware.
This improved the efficiency by around 41%.
L1 Firmware Update: Other Upgrades
DJI has added other enhancements as part of the firmware upgrade:
- Added IMU Calibration to Terrain Follow, Oblique and Linear Flight missions.
- The calibration strategy for Waypoint missions is now optimised. IMU Calibration will not be performed when the flight time between two waypoints is less than 100 seconds. IMU Calibration will be performed when the flight time between two waypoints is more than 100 seconds.
- Supported to generate the original satellite observation and record files when capturing photos with the mapping camera.
- Added to set the forward overlap (visible) parameter for the mapping camera when using Mission flight.
- Fixed an occasional issue: Where photos were missed when using the Photogrammetry mission.