Why can’t I use the DJI GO app to update the firmware on my remote control?Some of the older firmware versions for the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 remotes, however, do not support the update process used by the DJI GO app. This means you’ll be unable to use the app to update the firmware from older versions. However, DJI does offer an alternative method for upgrading the firmware from these previous versions by using a USB stick. Once you have got the newer firmware versions installed you’ll be able to upgrade the remote using the normal DJI GO app process. The firmware you need to update to in order to use the app for future upgrades are:
- Inspire 1 Remote – V1.3.00
- Phantom 3 Remote – V1.3.20
Updating the remote controller firmware using a USB memory stick.The process, while not quite as streamlined as updates using the DJI GO app, is still relatively simple. Before you start the process please make sure you have:
- A fully charged remote controller.
- A USB memory stick or a Micro SD card and USB adapter with at least 300mb of free storage space.
- A PC or Mac with stable internet connection.
- Download the relevant firmware for your remote controller from the DJI website:
Phantom 3 Pro Remote Controller Firmware V1.3.20 Phantom 3 Advanced Remote Controller Firmware V1.3.20 Inspire 1 Remote Controller Firmware V1.3.00
- Unzip the downloaded zip file to your desktop.
- Within the folder you’ve just unzipped, locate the .bin file which holds the firmware.
- Insert your USB stick into your PC or Mac to access the files stored on it.
- Copy the .bin file you downloaded from the DJI website to the ‘root’ of your USB stick. The root simply means the top-level of the USB stick, not within any particular folder.
- Once the file has finished copying, unplug the USB stick from your PC or Mac.
- Insert the USB stick into the USB port on the back of your controller.
- Power on the remote control as normal and wait around 60 seconds for the firmware update to start.
- The status LED on the remote controller will change to a solid blue light while this process takes place. The remote may beep or flash during this time, it’s just a part of the upgrade process, don’t be alarmed.
- Please wait for a minimum of 10 minutes but up to 30 minutes for the firmware update to be completed.
- When the update is complete you’ll see that the status LED on the front of the remote changes to a solid green light.
- After the upgrade has finished, remove the USB stick from the back and reboot the remote controller.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for Exclusive DJI News, Reviews and Advice
Leave a comment